August 16, 2012

Vacation day 3 - to the CHA

On Friday morning we headed out again, bright and early to Chattanooga. Now, I know I had been here before as well (my mom informed me I had, even though I have no recollection of it), but again, easy day tip to explore some "new" city.

We headed up first to the River Walk. It was a muggy day and a little humid, but all in all a very nice walk. We went over a large walking/biking bridge, walked past the Hunter Museum of American Art, saw some kayakers and walked over a cool glass bridge. We headed to lunch at a place recommended by a co-worker, The Blue Plate. I had a great wrap while Stephen ate the best thick pancakes ever. This place was a winner!



We then ventured over to McKay's, a huge second hand bookstore where Stephen picked up a game and I got several books for $1.50 each! I purchased a book on the Vanderbilt's, Nicholas and Alexandra - the last Czars of Russia, a book on Queen Elizabeth, and one other random book that I thought looked good. It was customer appreciation day at the bookstore, so trivia was happening while we were there, as well as a radio station, food, drinks and shaved ice! It was packed but very fun to visit.

Afterward, we headed to Chickamauga, Georgia (about 5 minutes away, if we hadn't gotten lost a lot) and went to visit the Battle of Chickamauga. My dad LOVES Civil War history, so of course SMS and I had to stop by to see it. We watched a 20 minute video about the battle and then drove around the park to see historical markers.













When we left, the sky was collapsing and I could barely see to drive, but we made it to our final destination - Sticky Finger BBQ. Our friend Chip urged us to eat there at some point, and it was awesome. We shared a platter for two of 4 different kinds of ribs, and we were happy.


It was finally time to come home, so we headed back to good ole Birmingham. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips